Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Pat Spurgeon Benefit @ Independent 9-30-06

Wow, that's pretty much all I can say about this show. You can't help feel lucky when you get to attend a benefit like this. So many great artists on the bill, and a sense of really helping someone or something in need. This particular show was to benefit Pat Spurgeon, whom if you don't know, has been plagued with kidney problems since birth. You Can Further Your Reading Pleasures Here

So anyways, as I stated before, this show was chuck full of great acts, and they were all playing in a club that could've been sold out by them years ago. I showed up a little late, but was just in time to catch the Moore Brothers. Don't know much about them, although those two doods can harmonize. They were decent. Played four songs and were done. Next was John Vanderslice. For those of you who don't have his newest record Pixel Revolt, it needs to be picked up asap, or at least I recommend it. It is a great album, and it was fun to finally get a chance to catch him live. It seems everytime he comes into town I can't make it to the show for one odd reason or another. He was good, playing a shorter, but very enthralling set. I was hoping he'd play Exodus Damage, but maybe next time.

Then it was time for Nada Surf. They had played a set over in Berkeley earlier in the evening and then headed over to the Independent to play this show. I have seen Nada Surf a couple times before and they are fantastic. This set contained solo stuff from Matt Cawley, as well as acoustic full band songs. They played a lot off of This Weight is A Gift, with one or two older songs thrown in for good measure. They were fun as they always are.

Then was the moment I had been waiting for. I'm not gonna lie, when this show was announced as a rogue wave show with friends, I was very torn between it and the Jason Collett show at Cafe Du Nord. I was bummed because they had been on tour together, until they hit SF. However, once Ben Gibbard was announced as playing this show I knew where I was going to be on Sat. night. I got to see Ben play the Hurricane Katrina benefit at Great American Music Hall about two years ago, and from that knew that seeing him play acoustic stuff solo is a treat in itself.
The setlist is as follows:
Brand New Colony
Title And Registration
405
Soul Meets Body (which was played on the piano)
Passenger Seat (on piano)
Cuddly Toy (Monkee's cover) w/Nada Surf
Blacking Out The Friction (w/ Daniel Handler on Accordion)
Military Madness (Crosby Stills & Nash cover) w/Daniel Handler
Such Great Heights

I love the fact that Ben always plays different covers at his solo shows. Both covers were fantastic, although I preferred Military Madness. In between Title and Registration and 405 he went into a humerous little rant about how he can't escape the Black Eyed Peas these days. It is damn true though, they are everywhere. Everyone thought they were gonna get a break from them, then Fergie goes out and has released her own album. But anyways, I love seeing Ben in intimate venues, especially because he interacts with the audience so well and on a level he just can't seem to do in the venues Death Cab is playing now adays.

Finally the evening came down to what it was all about. Rogue Wave. And they came out ablazing. They played a great set after being introduced by Pat's mother. It was noted that a venue in Indiana, where Pat is from and played many times, was also doing a benefit show that night for Pat. It was nice to see things like that going on. I had their setlist, but being the idiot I am, I accidently deleted it off my phone. However, they did play California with the help of Ryan Miller, of Guster, and even brought everyone on stage for a few covers. They covered Elvis Costello as well as the Beatles and the Who if my memory serves me right. I probably should have written this on Sunday, after the show, but this last week was incredibly busy and I had to get things done when I had free time on the weekend. But it was definitely a great show. If you get a chance buy one of these, because proceeds are going to Pat. Or you can check out Rogue Wave's site and give a donation through it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home