Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Mastodon, Converge & the Bronx @ Slims 9-26-06

So Gav and I went out to Slim's last week and checked out this show. I was definitely glad that I didn't skip over it. I've seen both Converge and the Bronx numerous times before, but it was my first time seeing Mastodon. We got there right after the start of the Bronx's set. They were good, even though it seemed like the crowd was only so-so sold on them. They played a decent mix of new and old stuff.

Next was Converge. This was definitely my main reason of going to this show, even though I do like the other bands. It had been forever since I last saw converge. I think it was the last time they played the Che cafe in SD that I had seen them, so this was definitely a different Converge show than I was used to. Even though I'm still not convinced that hardcore music transfers over to larger venues, if anyone is able to pull it off it is Converge. They played a great set and even some new ones. I was bummed they left out Jane Doe, which they did play the last couple of times I had seen them. But overall a good solid performance, even though I've never been let down by them.

Mastodon was next. I am not unfamiliar with Mastodon, but I don't own any of their CDs, only listened to them every once in a while. They are definitely a solid metal band live. Very tight and can be technical at the times it calls for it. I have to say my favorite thing about them was the guitarist's haircut though...haha. They played some stuff off the Moby Dick inspired CD, whom's title is slipping my mind at the moment, and a lot of stuff of their newest album, Blood Mountain.

We both left the show satisfied and as I said before, I was definitely glad that I didn't skip over this show, especially cause they sold out slims for two nights.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home