Sunday, September 24, 2006

If I lay here...

So I know this is a long way coming, I definitely have not kept a good track record at updating this last week. However, with everything that I had on my plate this last week, I don't feel too horrible about not updating. So let's see, I got back into town from Detroit late Monday night, and was swamped trying to catch up with school on Tuesday. Wed was actually chill. My afternoon class was cancelled and I got to hang out and get stuff done. Went to the Chrome store and picked up a new bag so to make it easier on myself getting to school.

That's the one I got, except it's black on black and has a black belt buckle. It's pretty damn hot. Then Gav and I picked up our tickets for Mastodon, Converge, and the Bronxxx at Slims. And since neither of us had anything to do during the day, we decided to take an adventure over to In-N-Out. It was very tourist to say the least, In-N-Out is over in Fisherman's Wharf, so I think we were the only people on both the cable car and streetcar that weren't snapping pictures and/or speaking english as a second language. It was fun to get out and explore a bit though.

Finally, that night was the Lawrence Arms, Draft show. We got there right as Blackout Pact was taking the stage. They were alright, but they didn't seem to hold my attention for too long. They seemed sloppy, and their riffs and sound seemed to be heavily screamo influenced. The Draft was next. If you don't know, The Draft is Hot Water Music minus Chuck Ragan, whom they apparently replaced with another dude. Although it is all the members of HWM, their sound is a bit different. It is on the more user friendly side of HWM. However, they are a very tight band, and were great to see live. It was a consensus between the group that HWM was missed after their set. The whole time they were playing I was waiting for Chuck to start singing a song like it was a HWM show. They played stuff off their new album, A Million Pieces, and put on a hell of a show. Finally it was time for The Larry Arms. They played a solid set, however, I was let down by the fact that they seemed to focus heavily on their new stuff, but I guess that should've been expected since it is their first headlining tour since putting out their newest album, Oh Calcutta! They played 100 Resolutions, which is definitely one of, if not my favorite song of theirs. It was a great show, and I love Bottom Of The Hill, I guess I just got spoiled after seeing them in SD at the Zombie Lounge on Thanksgiving last year. Now that was a fucking show. But it was a great show.

Thursday I didn't do much, just homework and more catching up. Friday I came home and slept for 3 hours, then went and saw Jackass 2 with my brother. It was a funny movie and a good follow up to the first one. More stupid, slap-stick humor that everyone has grown to love from the Jackass crew.

Yesterday I ran a few errands then headed to UN Plaza for SF Lovefest. I had never really heard of Lovefest before, but it was definitely one of the coolest things I have ever experienced. UN Plaza was taken over with electronic music and it was pretty much a huge dance party. I met up with my friends Sean, Zack, and Alyssa and Sean's European friends and had a blast. We drank, danced and just took in the sights to be seen. There were like 20 "stages" that are really floats from the parade, that just play music. The Beatport stage is where we spent most of our time, the DJs there were top notch and had the crowd fucking loving them. They were spinning everything and anything, including a Coldplay remix. So after dancing for 3 hours, we headed to Alyssa's and had some drinks. Then I headed down to Slim's for the Phoenix show. I got there towards the end of La Rocca's set, but was fairly impressed by them. They seemed to be a solid band. Phoenix was great. They played a lot off their new album, which is good, but I was hoping for some of the more atmospherical stuff they've done on their old albums. But they nontheless, put on a great show and came back for an encore that had the whole crowd dancing. It was a great way to cap off a dancefilled day.

Sorry for the lack of updates, I will update again tonite with a list of shows this week.

I'm gonna try to make it out to see the Presets at Folsom Street Fair today, and hopefull to the Balazo Gallery tonite to see Meg & Dia and Action Reaction.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home