Monday, September 04, 2006

For every city, every break of dawn...

Oy Vey, it's been a long long long week. So let's see, last Wed. I myself, my brother, and Gav went out to see Jeremy Engik and Stars of Track and Field at Great American Music Hall. It was a great show, but we got there late and missed Canon. I had a paper due on Thursday for my Legal Research and Writing Class and was working on that, therefore we were runnin a bit behind schedule. But we got there right after they were playin. It then took about 3 years forStars of Track and Field to come out after their stage was setup. Once they did come out, they played a good solid set. Their music is a blend pop played to programmed beats. Although its nothing totally new or out of the ordinary, they were good and catchy. How come every band has to have a schtik these days? I really wish that bands could just let their music speak for them, instead of wearing suits or something on stage. Although it wasn't horrible, the suites that Stars of Track and Field wore were just another thing that I see bands doing and it just seems to be growing. Will the madness stop?

Next up was Jeremy Enigk. If you don't know, Jeremy was the lead singer of Sunny Day Real Estate and The Fire Theft. Since both of those bands have broken up, Jeremy has been working on his solo career and it is a great career at that. His new album World Waits will drop on October 17th on Lewis Hollow Records, Jeremy's own record label. He played a number of songs off this album as well as a bunch off of Return of The Frog Queen. It was a great show all around and Jeremy was just superb, playing as though he was greatful to be playing for all of us. He even made the comment that he'd been sad for 20 years, and now he's happy, but he still enjoys playing the sad songs he wrote from his 20 years of being depressed. Overall a great show, I don't know if my company enjoyed it as much as I did, but I thought it was wonderful.

Friday and Saturday nights I went and saw Hanalei at both the Make Out Room and the Golden Bull. The Make Out Room show was an early show, and definitely had a weird vibe to it...haha. Hanalei was solid, they played their set and that was that. I bought a shirt and headed off to finish celebrating my birthday with my friends over in North Beach area. Got wasted and ended up taking bart home at 4 in the morning...god bless the Bay Bridge bein shut down and Bart runnin 24 hours. Then I got home and low and behold, my friend Andrew was hiding in my bathroom, which was nice of him to travel all the way up here from SD for my bday.

So Sat. after napping till 8, we got ready and hopped on Bart bound for Oaktown. Got out and found the Golden Bull. This show was definitely a lot better than the show the night before at the Make Out Room. It was a good show until the last song came about. There were two drunk ass dudes dancing around throughout the set, everyone else was laughing at them and they were the joke of the show. Then during the last song, one of the guys was spinning on the floor and sent Brian's mic into him and knocked down the other one in the process. At this point you could see the wheels turning, and finally Brian set down his guitar and told him to get out. Afterwards, the song was restarted and sung to perfection. Although it was just like Dad hit Mom at the dinner table at the end, it was still a solid set put forth by Hanalei.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home