Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Whitewash is Brainwash

So, law school huh? Yup, started that. Definitely a little different than undergrad, but still not horrible, or at least hopefully. It's just gonna take a little shile to get used to and figure out the workings of. First year might be a bitch with all the readings and such, but it's gotta be done.

Our apartment is finally getting itself to come together. I think there are only a couple of boxes and bins of stuff still left in our halls and I think it's mostly mine and Gav's. Hopefully I can find some time this week to get pictures up on the walls and finalize my room. But we'll see.

Yesterday was awesome. School all day was tiring, but afterwards I rushed home, grabbed my brother and Gav and we hopped back on BART and MUNI and headed to Amoeba to see the Mountain Goats. John Darnielle actually did an solo acoustic performance and it was a lot of fun. A ton of people turned out and it seemed like John was having fun, bantering with the audience as well as playin some more obscure older stuff the he mentioned that he hadn't even planned on playing. It was a great vibe and a fun "little" instore.

After that we booked it back home to pick up tickets to the show at the Independent, and Gav and myself once again hopped on BART and Muni and headed back over to Alamo Square district for the show. We got there a little late after detouring to grab some dinner, and unfortunately missed Whispertown 2000. I had wanted to catch them, but alas didn't and will have to next time they head north and play a show. We did arrive just in time for the start of Let's Go Sailing. I've read a lot about this band on the blogs as of late and enjoyed what I'd heard before the show. I wasn't blown away by their performance, however they were working with a handicap, so I'll let it slide. Apparently they lost their chello player, so they had someone filling in, and the singer did mention that she was drugged up on Vicotin apparently, for what I don't know. Overall they were not the tightest band, but definitely will be a force to be watched in the near future. Next was Shapes and Sizes, who are on the Asthmatic Kitty roster. From what I heard before the show, I was interested to check them out, however, was greatly dissappointed. They were kinda sloppy, and have decided that every song needs an organized chaos sort of breakdown that just throws the song off for me. Kinda bummed me out because there seems to be talent there, for me it just needs to be harnessed in the right direction. But the highlight of the night award definitely goes to Oh No! Oh My! This Austin, TX band was absolutely stellar from beginning to end of their set. Apparently there are only three original members and three extra tour members in the band; however, one wouldn't have thought that from their performance. They were all very much on, playing off each other all night. Their set was captivating and even had the medium sized crowd participating with hand claps during a couple times in their set. For me, the best way to describe them is a mix between the flaming lips and broken social scene, with a mix of Austin thrown in for good measure. Gav even asked me at one point during the show, "What label are these guys on?" When I told him they weren't signed he mentioned how they should be now/will be here soon. They are definitely a fun band to see live and I'm glad I got to catch them on this tour.

Well, I guess I'll take a look at what I exactly need to read for my next class today...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home