Monday, October 09, 2006

And I Was A Boy From School...

Ok, so I've been ridiculously busy lately. Friday afternoon I went and saw Elvis Costello at the Hardly Stricly Bluegrass Festival in Golden Gate Park. It was an awesome set. He played a ton of songs on acoustic guitar for about 40 mins, then was joined by a backing band and guests including Emmylou Harris, Gillian Welch and others for about an hour and 20 mins. So he played a free 2 hour set. Needless to say, he was amazing and a great artist. That night I went and watched Rigoletto, the opera by Verdi in UN plaza with my brother. It has been quite a while since I've watched an opera, and it made me realize how much I do miss going to them.

Sat. I ended up heading over to the Mezzanine to catch the Cold War Kids and Album Leaf show. So the Mezzanine, where should I start. I walked in and was quite impressed with it at first. Cool, semi-swanky NY club decor and a medium-sized venue. The sound at this place is amazing. However, it isn't run like a venue, but rather as an aforementioned club. $5 for a Miller Lite, just kind of weird how it was run. The bar closest to the stage shut down before the Album Leaf even took the stage. Overall it's a decent venue, but I would definitely recommend getting your drink on before you head there if you plan on drinking at all. For me it was too rich for my blood, I don't even want to know how much people were paying for any type of mixed drink. Also, there were 4 bands, first one didn't go on till 9:40 or 9:45. Thus meaning that the Album Leaf didn't get done playing till 1:45 am.
But, that first band was San Diego's Delta Spirit. Even though SD usually produces quite horrible bands, I have definitely been taken by Delat Spirit. They recently put out an EP on Monarchy Music, which I would have purchased, had every band not packed up all their merch and split by the time the show was over. Their loss I guess. But they put on a good show and I have actually caught them play up here twice now, more than I actually saw them in SD.
Next was Foreign Born. I wasn't completely sold on them based on their live performance, although it did pick up towards the end of their set. I most definitely want to see how they sound on record, because live they just seemed to be missing an element.
Cold War Kids were obviously the band that people had come out to see. I missed their last show at Cafe Du Nord less than a month ago, but I'm not all that bummed I did, only because they came back so soon. Their set was good, however, it kinda bummed me out on the fact that the only person who seemed like he wanted to be there playing was the bassist. They played a solid set though, with a lot of their new songs being played. Their album hits tomorrow, so I will probably have to pick it up.
The Album Leaf was the clincher on going to this show for me. Being from SD, Album Leaf has held a place in my heart for a long time now, probably going on like 7 years. I have seen them play a ton of times, and I have not ever been let down. This was the second time I had seen the new material performed live, the first being at the Whistlestop in SD, and it sounded just as amazing as it did the first time. This band always puts me in a good mood and I can always have fun at their shows, this is when I'm not dead tired and they aren't making it easy for me to shut my eyes and take a snooze from being so relaxed. I felt bad because they went on so late, that there ended up only being about 30 people left when they finished at 1:45, but Jimmy was greatful and kept thanking us for sticking around. I'm looking forward to seeing them play the The Independent in about 6 weeks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home