Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Again, I'm playing catch up.

Last week was fun. I didn't end up going to see Lupe Fiasco at Independent on Tues. Couldn't justify the $20 just to see him without anyone else that I was interested in on the bill. I need to find someone to pay me to go to shows, that way I can actually go to all of them I want.
Wednesday night I caught Brandtson, Lovedrug and The Myriad at Annie's Social Club. I hadn't been to Annie's before and I really like it. Reminds me of the Zombie Lounge or Ken Club in SD. Just a little bar venue. The Myriad were the first band up. They were good, in the vein of Copeland. I don't know much about them, but I would definitely check them out if they were to come through here soon again. Brandtson were up next. I'm not going to lie, I love Brandtson. Their shows are always a ton of fun and even though they play some poppy music, I'm all for it, especially when you can just let loose and have fun. They played mostly new stuff, in fact I believe they only played one older song and it was still off Send Us A Signal. Would've liked to hear something off the Death & Taxes EP. But nonetheless, they put on a great show and I had a good time. Lovedrug headlined which I would of rather had Brandtson do, but oh well. I really liked Lovedrug's last CD, but there is just something that doesn't translate over to their live show for me. I didn't end up sticking around for their whole set as I just kinda got bored, especially after Brandtson's upbeat set. But I got to hear Spiders, which I really do like. I guess they had a new EP Lovedrug was selling, so I'm guessing a lot of their set was off that. Overall a good show, but like I said, I would've liked to see Brandtson headline and play a longer set.

Thursday I ended up not going to any of the shows, but rather drinking at the Diesel store in Castro at some 2007 line party I guess. It was fun and as Andrew put it, we spent the night "double fisted faux shopping for $300 pants"

Friday was the Minus The Bear, Velvet Teen show. We headed over to North Beach to Bimbo's about 2 hours early because Gav and myself didn't have tickets, but they were releasing some before the show. So we got tix, then got some gelato and a slice before the show. Russian Circles opened the show. If you haven't heard them and are into instrumental stuff, you need to check them out ASAP. They are fantastic and really tight. One must be fairly badass in order to pull off an instrumental band, and Russian Circles is no less than badass. The Velvet Teen was up next. They played a great set comprised of almost all stuff off their record Cum Laude. Judah uses a megaphone throughout the set, which for most bands would backfire on them in two seconds; however, Judah and the Velvet Teen pull it off like champions. Their set, while too short was really entertaining and action packed. POS, a rapper from Minneapolis, was up next. While Andrew was not feeling it in the least bit, he was soured from the San Diego show and POS's negative attitude. I however enjoyed his performance. Although I thought he could've switched spots in the lineup with Velvet Teen, he was still a good act and fun to watch. He reminded me of Sage Francis but not to Sage's level. While some of his flows were contrived and at sometimes not so fluid, he still put on a good set and people were into him. (it was actually funny to see the hip hop heads out at this show because you knew they were there for POS). Overall it was a decent set that kept my attention for the most part. Finally it was time for Minus the Bear to come out. First off I feel as though I should somewhat apologize as I'm the only asshole that feels the need to badger one of my favorite bands on stage. But anyways, they played a good set with a few new songs mixed in. Two of the newer songs they played on their last tour as well, so they weren't completely new to myself. The first new song they played was called Face Monster, the second was Electric Rainbow, and the last I didn't catch the name of. Two things kinda bummed me out, as it seems that Minus has all but ditched their ways of naming songs with ridiculous song titles and two the new songs lack that punch of other songs as they are slower and not as intricate so far. I know, I know, as they go record the songs they will come together more, but we shall see. Overall a good set even though it seems as they have totally dropped Electric Boogaloo Part 2: Get Me Naked from their repertoire . I had a good time seeing them, but would've had even more fun had it been at the Casbah in SD like the past couple times I've seen them there.

The rest of the weekend was spent partying and hanging out with Andrew. It was good to see him and I thank him for making the trip up to hang out.

I ended up deciding not to go to Riottt Fest on Sat. and from the Pitchfork review, I think the only thing I missed out on was the Clipse performance. It seems Girl Talk only played a 10 min. set. So overall I'm glad I saved my $40 bucks, especially since Girl Talk will be at the Independent in Jan.

For Now I'm out. I should have a show list up tonite or early tomorrow. For tonite you either need to be at the Mezzanine to see Lady Sovereign or at Annie's Social Club to see Tiltwheel and Vena Cava. Hopefully I will be at both, but am definitely going to be at the Mezzanine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home